Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Hobgoblin, or Paisley's Displaced Fracture

Jason went away for a few days this week. He got back Thursday evening and Paisley was super excited to see him. She did her typical, "I'm a puppy and therefore I am going to run around this house like a maniac, and jump on all of the furniture" thing. She jumped up onto the couch and back on the floor. She jumped up onto the couch again and upon landing we heard the worst sound in the world. Terrible, painful crying from our little puppy. She hovered in the corner with her tail between her legs, crying and whining. We held her and kissed her and put her up on her feet, but noticed that she was holding up her back paw. She hobbled around, unsure of what was going on, and we were of course freaking out.

It didn't get any better, so we took her to the Pet ER (our vet had already closed for the evening). The doctor said that she had badly hurt her back knee, but didn't know how badly. We took her to our vet yesterday and the doc said she had a displaced fracture. She splinted Paisley's little leg, and we have to keep it on her for at least 4 weeks, with weekly visits to the vet.

It's very sad to see her like this. She can't play a lot, she can't hop up on the sofa to cuddle, she can't play in the backyard. She has trouble sitting, laying down, and going to the bathroom. I'm just very sad for her right now. Last night right before bed, Jason said "I just love that little puppy so much." That makes two of us.

the splint of dooooooooooom!


this is the best "woah is me" picture ever, no?


4 comments:

Blythe said...

aww, poor Paisley!

Anonymous said...

oh poor baby! I'm so sorry that had to happen to her. You guys are great puppy parents. I know the feeling... one time Zelda was limping for a little while, and I thought I was going to lose my mind.

I think Tycho did it to her. lol.

mom and dad rhodes said...

so sorry for paisley's leg, she will soon be back to her playful self. We can't wait to come down and see her , play with her and hold her and oh yea we will spend some time with you and jason too

mom and dad rhodes

Anonymous said...

this just happened to my 3 month old pom pup!! any idea as why the splint is so much longer and bigger? i'm worried. he can barely walk with it and it's very annoying and in the way for him which makes me sad. is she all healed now?